Saturday, September 22, 2012

Move to a small town! No, wait..stay where you are!!!!

I love small town living. Period. End of Story. I will never want to live in a "city" or larger town again.I have been here 8 years now and my town has grown from 8,400 to almost 11k in last year's census. If it gets any bigger, I might wanna move. :)

Now, we do not live in a little rinky dink 1 store kinda town but coming from Virginia Beach(pop. 432,000 in 2004) to here was a big change. A lovely change.
I mean, it is things like not standing in the post office but for a few minutes even at Christmas time that I appreciate. I can run my errands within a 3 mile radius on most days without having to sit in VA Beach Blvd traffic making my errand time quadruple.
Don't get me wrong, I miss my family and friends from there. But the lines in traffic,post office,DMV,grocery store,etc is what I do not miss.Crime,houses close together,bass booming from cars...those things I do not miss. As I type I actually hear crickets and a cow mooing! Ha!

I have learned that Friday night High School football games can be the main attraction...traffic gets busy then. But I never grow tired of the hand made signs from the teens hanging at local business..taunting the team coming to play against them. I live near a high school(only 2 in the whole town) and enjoy hearing the marching band practice outside.
Hometown parades are fun for many and happen a couple of times a year in this town.
I love seeing deer going into the woods,or at the odd times running down my street or grazing in my front yard.
Sure,we have a gas station just off the interstate called Nervous Charlies with a giant gorilla statue by the front door. Why is Charlie Nervous and why is there is gorilla???? I dunno...but you can gas your car,buy cigarettes AND fireworks all at the same time! But we now have a Walmart too, huge deal when that was built.
I have talked to people who tell me how it was before I moved here-wish I could have seen it then and watched it grow to where it is now. Not sure I want it to grow too much more, too many people cause more problems.
Only 2 murders have occurred in White House since crime started being recorded many years ago. 2 TOTAL.....people can change that type of stat. I do acknowledge we have had 2 bank robberies and 1 jewelry store robbed over the last few years but that can be a daily occurrence in larger cities or towns.
So many people from here love the beach. I love mountains. So maybe there is always that yearning for something different then where we are, I don't know.

 So while I really think when you hit 40ish you should move to a small town and enjoy life at a less stressful slower lazy kinda rate...I am thinking that there is another town for you. I like my town just the size and way it is...sweet,beautiful with a certain charm,new mixed with old,more churches then grocery stores and a dash of redneck tossed in.
It is definitely a "Watertower Town"   if only we had an old main street to stroll on.

P.S. I swear the sky is bluer and the grass is greener here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment